26.12.08

Rant: Vintage Postage, Part III

My mother and I worked on the vintage postage concept tonight, as I haven't ordered any stamps since the cars. This has been such an incredibly time consuming project. It is really difficult to tell what it will all look like on the envelope together. Luckily, my mother used to collect stamps and had a couple magazines with little pictures of all of the stamps from the twentieth century. So we not only saw there and flipped through them, but also cut out the ones we liked best and lined them up on an envelope to get a sense of what they would look like next to each other!!!

The result of all this work: another ebay purchase, this time for 1947 air mail stamps (which we confirmed with an ex-postmaster can in fact be used for regular postage so long as they have the amount on them):



And the stamp I would love to have to complete the whole look--Grace Kelly, from 1993. By far and away, this would be the most expensive stamp, so I'm holding off for the time being, in hopes of finding something else more economical.

I'll post pictures soon of our magazine cut-out mock up. And I really would discourage anyone from doing this unless they are prepared to spend wayy too much time on such a silly detail.

No comments: