
This is so fabulously "us" (well, me anyway)!!
Centerpiece #2: Work In Progress
I want three different centerpieces (approximately 8 tables per centerpiece design). I decided to piece together some vintage looking vases for one of the centerpieces, filled with flowers ordered wholesale. I had to use silk calla lilles for this test run so it doesn't look quite "right" with this many calla lilles in the tiny vase.
Centerpiece #3: Floating Flowers
As soon as I started planning, I came across so many beautiful floating flower centerpices. Naturally, I wanted it for my own. But I wanted something a bit more "dramatic" than a few rose petals. Finally, I came across this inspiration picture from the Knot. We'll have to change up the flowers to match our floral scheme but I really dig the way this bride placed full flowers in the vases, rather than just petals. I think we'll do calla lilles on the left, orchids in the back, and perhaps rose petals in the right.
Picture from Glen Abog Photography, via the Knot.

My DIY Attempts to Re-Create This Knottie's Floating Flowers:
Lesson From Attempt #1: Not All Silks Are Created Equal
I purchased silk calla lilles from Michaels for experimental purposes but when I submerged them, a bunch of stuff came off the flowers and floated to the bottom. I am not planning to use silks for this portion of the centerpieces, but just a heads up for those of you thinking about it!
Blech--look at all this white material on the bottom of the vase--from the flower.
Lesson from Attempt #2: Orchids Are just TOO beautiful.
I really liked how this turned out. And I will be using silks for this portion so I was thrilled to discover that the above problem did not happen with the Pier 1 silk orchids! I am going to re-test this using river rocks and see how I like it.
If using silks, you will need wire clippers to get the height of the flower right (and you will possibly also need a handy fiancee if you are man-tool incompetent like me!!)

No comments:
Post a Comment